Sunday, March 25, 2012

Day 8 and 9 - Tokyo

Day 1 in Tokyo - After we returned from the Hot Springs in Izu, we took several trains and subways to the Toshi Center Hotel in Tokyo.  We checked in and headed to my the neighborhood where my mom grew up.  Our tour guide is my mom's cousin, Tamio-San.  First we stopped at a local soba shop and I had my first plate of cold soba.  My mom said she ate noodles at this place as a kid over 50 years ago!  I much prefer the cold soba to the hot noodle soup.  I got some much needed additional slurping practice.  By the time I master this, it'll be time to go back to the states and all that slurping skill will go to waste!
Cold Soba.  Eaten by dipping noodles into the bowl which contains a mixture of the broth, wasabe and onion.
Then you slurp away!
The local Buddhist park my mom used to play in had numerous temples for us to explore.  We got some great pictures of the temples and the huge buddhas housed inside.  I was surprised that the park my mom grew up playing in was a Japanese national treasure now.  Very peaceful place and beautiful.
Really love this archway.  Inside the two pillars are red demon-looking creatures.


My mom said she rang this gong when she was a kid and ran away.  Afraid of the monks, I believe.

Inside one of the temples.
After the park, we walked through her old neighborhood and even knocked on her elementary school friend's front door.  After picking up some desserts in town, we went back on our way to the hotel in Tokyo.  Our obsession for Japanese desserts is a little out of control and after we ate them, we all crashed super hard, including mom, who never seems to sleep.  I managed to stay awake through the sumo wrestling on TV and getting the blog up from the previous day.  Short blog for the first day in Tokyo!
The Japanese make a consistently outstanding flan, which is my favorite dessert.
Day 2 in Tokyo had us up early for breakfast buffet in the hotel and then on our way to the Tsukiji fish market.  The fish market is regarded as the largest fish market in the world and one of the largest wholesale markets of any kind, as well.  I definitely wanted to see what the fuss was all about.  Unfortunately, it was a rainy day and because of issues with tourists, they've been extremely tight on allowing tourists in to see the actual fish auctions were fish sometimes command six figure prices per fish. So we walked around the retail market and admired the various types of seafood on display for sale.  I was able to pick up a top-brand Japanese knife to bring home as a cooking souvenir.
Tsukiji Fish Market Vendor aisle
Alley after Alley of vendors!
A knife vendor sharpening a knife.
Whale blubber.  I regret that I didn't get to try any whale on the trip.
Looks pretty fatty though.   Next time!
One of the oldest knife companies.  I picked one up for myself.
Reminder - do not pack in your carry-on bag!
Egg on a stick.  I'll pass :)
We were able to find Takashimaya in a nearby area to Tsukiji and hit up one of the restaurants inside.  I've been so gluttonous with the Japanese desserts so far so I decided to take a break from picking one up.  Obviously, that was an error in judgment since these desserts are sooooo gooooood.  Still, without a gym in my hotel the last 9 days, I'm can't risk full-on coronary failure with the way I've been eating!

We retire to the hotel for some cleaning of our room, a quick nap and sumo.  We are staying in a ryokan hotel which means traditional japanese style.  We essentially are all 5 sleeping inches from each other on the floor!  It feels a lot like camping :)

We wake up from our nap and headed to Shinjuku for a family dinner with mom's mother's family at Glass Court Super Buffet.  A couple of members of this group actually came to my wedding back in 1998 so that was pretty cool.  It's really nice to see how my mom's family receives her each time we visit new people.  They really love her and treasure her visiting them while she is here.  It's customary to exchange bags of gifts when visits like these happen.  Mom spent many hours planning for the trip but I'm sure she spent a large number of hours was spent carefully coordinating all the American souvenirs that she had to pack.

Thirds of Foie Gras?  Don't mind if I do!
On the way to the restaurant, mom said it was a very nice buffet dinner.  Now I've had a mix of good and average buffets since coming to Japan and eaten at the best buffets in Vegas, the buffet capital of the US, however, my expectations were not that high.  However, this buffet may top even those at the Bellagio and the Wynn in Vegas.  This buffet.... yes Carissa.... had Fois Gras!!!!!  I couldn't believe it when I saw it.  Both of my first two visits to the buffet included getting some Foie Gras in addition to prime rib, squid ink noodles with shrimp, perfectly cooked and spiced tempura fish and much more.  As I sat there feeling enormous, I contemplated getting a third portion of Foie.  Mom is shaking her head disapprovingly at me because Foie is so rich.  But in these gastronomic decision-points, I ask myself, what would Carissa do?  So I headed back up for thirds on the Foie Gras and it was a good decision, indeed!

After a minute of rest, I headed up for dessert and devoured a few desserts and pastries including some bananas dipped in the chocolate fondue fountain and a kiwi-lime cheescake slice.  But in spite of how much I ate, the king of the buffet this evening wasn't me.  It was Brandon.  The kid had three plates of nigiri sushi which he eats without any soy sauce or wasabe.  He also ate plates of other stuff too and tried various things off my plate including a bite of Foie.  His palate has matured 25+ years before mine did that lucky kid!  For dessert, he made two trips and then after debating with me if he needed/wanted more, he decided he wanted a bowl of fresh fruit, too.  Hopefully this means he's going to go through a little growth spurt because I don't know where else the weight is going!

After some tender goodbyes and some joint next-day-planning with some family members, we headed home to pass out immediately.  Tomorrow, a Japanese amusement park!

No comments:

Post a Comment